Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Reflecting on Learning


In this week’s media segment, Julie Olsen Edwards (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011), shares that in earning a Master’s Degree in Early Childhood Studies, with a focus on diversity, we have made a commitment to help children become “proud in who they are, connected to their families, connected to their communities, open to, eager to embrace people who are different.” Not only have we learned how to help children see themselves as whole individuals with unique contributions to society, but I think we have learned how to see ourselves as this as well. My hope for myself in becoming an anti-bias educator is to make an impact on how children, their families, and my colleagues view the differences of all individuals as strengths. My hope is that I continue to learn about different cultures, belief systems, family structures, economic classes, and other groups, so I can support children and their families no matter and because of their backgrounds and identities.

My other hope is to keep in touch with the colleagues I have gained throughout my experience as Walden, throughout the next course and after. Derman-Sparks & Edwards (2010) speak of the importance of having a support team as we journey through becoming and anti-bias educator, which is a life-long experience. Thank you for your support, ideas, encouragements, and the challenges you have brought to my thinking and perception of things. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

References:
Derman-Sparks, L., & Edwards, J.O. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, D.C.: National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2011). Your commitment to anti-bias work [multimedia]. In EDUC 6358 Strategies for working with diverse children. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp?tab_tab_group_id=_2_1&url=%2Fwebapps%2Fblackboard%2Fexecute%2Flauncher%3Ftype%3DCourse%26id%3D_2098014_1%26url%3D

4 comments:

  1. Best wishes to you on your continued learning through experience. I encourage you to become a teacher of adults as well as children - sharing your learning with other ECE professionals.

    I had a visit with a family just this past Thursday. When their middle child was 2 1/2, I had worked to advocate for his continued enrollment in a highly regarded and truly excellent program. The child had some challenges. He walked with the aid of a walker. He was eventually found to have low muscle tone and was identified on the Autism Spectrum. Despite the efforts of the agency I worked for and the hard work by the parents, the child was excluded. Every once in a while, I sent the Mom an e-mail to check up on Mason. He's 6 now. He loves watching airplanes. He is quite talkative and is fascinated with ears. He walks and runs now, needing only some supports in his shoes. He hates the sound of vacuum cleaners. He's 60% mainstreamed.
    I told the Mom that I spoke often of her son. That when I presented trainings to other teachers on anti-bias - I mentioned him. I told her how important his story is. She welcomed me to share about him and even gave me permission to mention him by name.
    I say all this because we have a responsibility to use our knowledge to make a difference, to share with other teachers and to advocate for families and children.
    May we all find a child like Mason - someone that forces us to confront ourselves and to better ourselves and to speak up publicly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also wanted to appreciate your writing style. Sometimes poetic always thought-provoking. We need more people in ECE that have your writing skills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caroline,
    I also hope to keep in touch with our colleagues from this course. It is nice to have a group of people to go to who share your same knowledge base and passion. The blogs will be an easy way to keep in touch. I have enjoyed learning with you during this course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caroline,
    As you mentioned your passion for educating the children and families it made me think of the parents we come in contact with on a daily basis. Do they hold the same prejudices and biases in their heart? Have they been hurt because of who they are? For me children show me how the world should be viewed, I hope parents think that way about their children as well. If so, as we teach their children how treasured and special they are for their differences and similarities, I hope parents are able to learn they are too. That is quite a far reaching goal but your post made me think of how far our words could really spread! Thank you for all your insights and words in class :)!

    ReplyDelete