Saturday, March 16, 2013

Exploring Roles in the ECE Community: Local and State Levels

There are many different types of jobs in the early childhood field that are opportunities for people to meld their passions and careers together. In order to make informed decisions on where to work that puts my passion, experience, and newly acquired knowledge to use it is important to research both organizations and job opportunities.

Three organizations I explored are Behavioral Health Resources (BHR), Washington State Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS), and the Thurston Early Childhood Coalition (ECC). Each of these organizations interest me for different reasons.

BHR provides mental health services to adults, children, and families, with the aim of providing "treatment, education, and advocacy" (BHR, 2013). This organization serves the Northwestern region of Washington State. BHR offers individual and family therapy and counseling, parenting classes, and individual and group school-based counseling. This organization interested me primarily because its willingness to network within schools gives access to services that low-income families usually do not experience because they cannot afford the time away from work to take their children to a clinic.

I looked into DSHS because this state agency offers a lot of information about health and mental health services available to children who are on state assistance and state insurance. DSHS is truly there to help families receive services, though the process of obtaining it can be long and confusing. I explored this site because I currently work with many families who are most likely eligible for assistance and do not know how to access it. I must learn bout what is out there so I can help families to learn about it as well.

The third organization is the Thurston County Early Childhood Coalition. This coalition is a network of 15 agencies that have an interest in the healthy development of young children who work together to "create and promote a comprehensive system of high quality early care environments that are accessible, affordable, and effective" (Thurston County ECC, n.d.). I am interested in this organization because it is one I have not heard of but looks to be a valuable resource and one with a mission that combats the difficulties many families face in finding quality care that is affordable.

In researching jobs that are available in the ECE field I found two special education preschool teaching positions, a teaching position in a Head Start program and one as an administrative assistant to the Thurston County ECC. To competently work as a teacher in  the preschools I would need skills in writing IEPs, knowledge of children with varying physical and cognitive abilities, communication skill for working with families staff, and skills in creating and implementing individualized instruction. These skills are ones I already have as a special education teacher although I would also have the opportunity to use my new understanding of early childhood development. To be successful in the Head Start position the education from this Master's program is required. I would also need a deeper understanding of the community resources families are in need of and have access to through the Head Start program. For the administrative assistance position at the ECC I would need experience with grant writing and extensive knowledge of local, state and federal resources available to children and families.

For all of these positions I would need strong communication and collaboration skills and I would hope for colleagues within the organizations to serve as mentors and supporters. Every new job, no matter how qualified or experienced I might be, requires enough humility to learn from those already "in the trenches". Organizations and programs can be as individuals are: very diverse!

References:
Behavioral Health Resources (BHR). (2013)  Behavioral Health Resources. Retrieved from   http://www.bhr.org/children.asp

Thurston Early Childhood Coalition (ECC). (n.d.) Thurston Early Childhood Coalition. Retrieved from http://thurstonecc.org/

Washington State Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS). (n.d.) Washington State Department of Social and Health Services. Retrieved from http://www.dshs.wa.gov/dbhr/cmhoutpatientservices.shtml

2 comments:

  1. Caroline,

    I agree strong communication and collaboration skills are needed for the jobs you found and I believe that we need these skills for most of the jobs in the early childhood field. Even though I have just started my career, I see a lot of peers in this course who are in, or are seeking, higher positions who have a lot of subordinates or need to build partnerships with other organizations. I think that we can use what we learned at Walden with strong communication and collaboration skills for what we want to make changes for.

    Aya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline,

    It sounds like you have a good hold of some of the local organizations that have the children's best interest in mind. Working for a coalition such as you described would be a great way to both gain information and knowledge as well as utilize the knowledge you have gained as a teacher and throughout your courses on your journey to obtain your Master's.

    ReplyDelete