Thursday, March 28, 2013

Jobs/Roles in the ECE Community: National/Federal Level


After checking out several national early childhood organizations, I identified three that appealed to me, all for different reasons.

The first organization is the Children’s Defense Fund (http://www.childrensdefense.org/). This organization has provided me with a lot of information about children living in poverty, which is an area that has really called out to me since my enrollment at Walden University. This organization champions for equality of children’s health, education, and well being. From this organization’s mission statement, I was able to learn that central to their work is advocating for changes that will prevent further social injustices as well as work to better the current ones. Preventative measures are what will lead to long-term solutions.

If I were to apply for a job in this organization I would be most interested in the position of project manager, as this would give me an opportunity to connect programs with community resources, and set up and oversee new early childhood programs. Requirements for this job are knowledge of early childhood, and understanding of the location’s cultures, strong communication skills, and experience in an administrative role (the one skill I currently do not have). This job appeals to me because it is very different from my current position and offers many opportunities for growth in areas I have little or no experience in.

The next organization I looked into is Zero to Three: National Center for Infants, Toddlers, and Families (http://www.zerotothree.org/). This organization uses research to advocate for best practices in regards to healthy child development and growth of infants and toddlers. I have learned from my research at Walden and my experience in the education field that research-based practices and data-driven decisions are the way to reach administrators. Zero to Three’s approach to the early childhood field is essential for this reason.

Though there are no openings posted, I was interested in a job for this organization in the Early Steps to School Success program, which provides education to children aged birth to five, parents, and staff. To be able to do this job I would need a degree in early childhood education, as well as the skills of communicating with families, building educational and/or curriculum plans, and creating staff training seminars.

The third organization I am drawn to is the Council for Exceptional Children (http://www.cec.sped.org/), because working with students with special needs is my comfort area and my area of expertise. The CEC works to advocate for and provide equality in learning programs and family involvement for children of both challenging and gifted abilities. This organization offers professional development opportunities and resources that can benefit my practice.

Though the ECE does not have any current positions open, I would be interested in working as a conference and convention coordinator. Skills necessary for this job are most likely strong communication skills, knowledge of child development and education, and networking experience. A job like this would be exciting because of the opportunities to network with presenters. It would be interesting to take a “behind the scenes” position.

It was interesting to step outside of the local community and see what organizations are doing across the country in so many different specialty areas, all pertaining to the early childhood field. It makes one realize how vast the area of early childhood is and how one can never truly be done learning.

4 comments:

  1. Caroline,

    I also realized, after some research, how vast the early childhood community is. There are so many job opportunities outside of teaching and administrative work that I did not realize existed. This assignment really helped open my eyes to various positions outside of my area of expertise that I may be able to consider in the future with some extra training and experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline,


    You are so right, there are so many jobs to choose from in the ece field. I am having a hard time trying to decide exactly what I want to do when I graduate. The job you chose within the Zero to three organization interests me. I would love to do a job where I work directly with an early childhood program to help them improve their quality. Your post has given me a little more direction concerning the position I would like to have in the future.
    Thank you for sharing,
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caroline,
    Learning that there are many role our Master's degree will allow us to take on has broadened my thinking about positions I am eligible to apply for. I agree that this assignment was enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.zerotothree.org/about-us/careers/jobs/policy-analyst_western-office_feb-2013.pdf

    I heard through the grapevine that Zero to Three has a policy anayslt position open in Los Angeles. So I paid the site and visit and found this.

    Any chance Los Angeles might be in your future? It is the greatest world city of them all!

    ReplyDelete